4.1.09

entertainment

Yesterday was sooo cold again that being outside wasn't really a tempting idea. Instead we wandered to a neighbouring town for some shopping, flea markets and meeting my sweet sister. Shopping wasn't really necessary, we just browsed some shops for any sale finds. That was mainly clothes plus a game for the boy for his PS2. Yup.

We visited two flea markets, the other was packed with people and the boy was a bit freaked out. But we managed to browse it through and I made some finds and the boy also found something. I love flea markets and the idea that someone elses trash is someones treasure. Can you tell I have a soft spot for dishes?
The mug in the middle I washed last night and took it to use this morning, I couldn't wait. Lately I have been interested in brown ceramics which originate from the 70s and 80s. We used to have brown plates and soup bowls when I was a kid, but sadly they've all been broken or sent to flea markets. That ofcourse was before I became aware of my passion for dishes. The flower pot is an old Arabia and was a bit expensive, but it was in mint condition so I decided to splurge. The glass jar with cork lid is called 'Paula' and I've already got one from my mom, so this is an addition to my collection. The glass lid I thougt to use for cheese etc with a plate and the round glass decoration will be a gift.

There was some nice furniture and especially a very lovely 60s coffee table. But the table was so shaky we decided to leave it there. It wasn't expensive, but would've required quite a lot of work to get it stable again.

Interesting notion I made while browsing through the stuff was, that whenever a dish has the name Arabia (a Finnish ceramic factory established in 1873), the price is somewhere way above your usual flea market prices, no matter what condition the dish is or if it's even something 'collectable' or just a plain regular dish you can get in shop even today. But when a dish has Rörstrand or Höganäs or some other name on the bottom, the price is in the normal range compared to size etc. For example, in the above picture, the blue dish is by Rörstrand (a Swedish ceramic factory older than Arabia) and it cost 50 cents, while the flower pot cost nearly 10 euros. This wasn't the raciest price there, there were several items I wanted to get, but didn't because the price was just outrageous.

Ei kommentteja: