21.12.08

sour

I like food, I think that's clear, but what I specifically like is sour foods. Sweets ofcourse too, but that's a bit different. At a Christmas party last weekend I ate only from the starter buffet and the maincourse, but no dessert, so if I have to choose, I choose the salty over sweet.

Back to the tangy, I like sour foods like quark and rye bread (made without yeast) and sour drinks like wine, vodka and whiskey in particular. What I find tastes normal or just a wee bit sour, might to others taste very sour. My dad hates quark and my mom can't eat grapefruit without grimace. I on the other hand love grapefruit, oranges, blood oranges, clementines and satsumas (my absolute favourite fruit). Lemons I don't like, possibly because I seem to be a little allergic to them.

I could eat several oranges a day, but until last summer I found the peeling of them to be a bit of a pain. It's messy, the juice sprays all over the place and the peel never comes of as good as it should (minimum of white bits left, thanks). Last summer I visited the village and old ironworks in Fiskars, in Southern Finland. It's the place where all famous Fiskars scissors and other newer inventions made by them originate. In the Fiskars shop I found a tool designed especially for peeling of oranges and bought it out of a whim. I had my doubts, but over the autumn I've used it on oranges and grapefruits and it works for me very well. No more white stuff under my nails and no juice splashes on my glasses.I recommend to get one if you like oranges. And boy do we need our oranges and their powerfull vitamin C, now that the sun is there somewhere behind the clouds. I got a short glimpse of sunlight yesterday and that restored my faith, that it might be visible again in a few months.
In the meanwhile, let's celebrate the winter solstice with some orange gold (and maybe cake) and give your nearest and dearest a hug!
(See more about Fiskars.)

1 kommentti:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

I have Fiskars' small folding scissors, which are my favorite.

I think I'm gonna have to find this orange peeler thing because I don't enjoy peeling oranges purely for the reason you mentioned. :-)

Happy holidays!