17.6.09

cinnamon

Suddenly I got an urge to bake cinnamon buns, or korvapuusti, as they are called in Finnish. It's been a while (like 10 years) since I last made buns with yeast dough. Baking is fun, but usually I make cakes or biscuits and for most times just bread. After deciding to give it a go, I turned to my most reliable source for a recipe and instructions. One needs instructions for stuff like this, since I think baking buns is a higher form of art. It could go miserably wrong. Last Christmas I got a present from the boy, Kotiruoka (home cooking) book (yes, I asked for it, it wasn't a hint from his side), it is filled with traditional recipies mixed with newer ones.
In the book were full recipe and instructions on how to actually bake the buns. They turned out pretty enough and tasted wonderful, just fresh out of the oven with cold milk (organic is the best). Pretty much all of the ingredients in the buns are organic too, except for the yeast, which I'm not even sure, can be accessed anywhere. I left salt out of the dough by mistake, but since the butter used was salted, I don't know if I even miss the salt that much.

The book itself is worth mentioning, Kotiruoka was first published in 1908, so last year it turned a respectable 100 years. The book I got is the 75th edition and it's been completely renewed to celebrate the birthday. So far the book has proven quite useful, since it has all the basics and then some.

Ei kommentteja: